Friday, March 02, 2012

Book Report: Moses Goes to a Concert

I am teaching sign language in our local Co-op to a group of Middle and High school students. We have been using a free curriculum from Lifeprint and the kids and myself have really been enjoying it.
Yesterday in class I decided to read a book to the students. Even though they are older, they still enjoy having books read to them. I decided to read the book "Moses Goes to a Concert" by Isaac Millman. Millman has a whole series based on Moses, a little boy who is deaf. The series focuses on daily life experiences of Moses and his friends, but essentially on deaf culture.
In this book, Moses and his friends are taken to an orchestra concert. As a surprise, their teacher gives them balloons to hold to help them to feel the vibrations of the music. And another surprise: the percussionist is also deaf. She performs without shoes on in order to feel the vibrations of the orchestra with her sock feet.
After the concert, Moses and his friends are able to meet the percussionist. They are allowed to go on stage and play her instruments. She shares with them about becoming deaf as a child and working hard to achieve her goal as a musician.
In the end, Moses says how they had a lot of fun!
This book, as well as the entire Moses series, has many signs sprinkled throughout. They are great resources to help teach deaf culture. Especially deaf culture through the eyes of a child-which is often the best way to learn!

We believe teaching about other languages and other cultures is a great way to teach your children about "becoming all things to all men". About personally stepping out of their daily comfort zones, their life bubble, and reaching out to others in theirs. With the ultimate goal of sharing the Gospel with them. Learning sign language is only one tiny way of doing that. And it's also fun! Not to mention a great way to enable your children to be able to silently ask to use the restroom during a church service. :)

"For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more. And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law. To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you."
1 Corinthians 9:19-23

1 comment:

Always an Adventure said...

neat book; great job, Kathy!!!

Followers

Blog History - Previous Posts

Subjects

Others we like to read...

Swagbucks

Do you Swagbucks? We've earned over $120 in Amazon gift cards in just under a year! Follow this link to get started and get 30 free Swagbucks!! Search & Win We've downloaded their "toolbar" and use it for searching. We search our email account, blog, and facebook and rack up the swagbucks. Then, we can trade those bucks in for Amazon gift cards!

Wild Olive

Wild Olive
Ni Hao Yall

147

Little Friends

Little Friends

Ticonderoga

We are Ticonderoga Pencil SNOBS! :)

Amazon

I review for BookSneeze®

Feedjit